Friday, May 1, 2009

The Pen is Mightier

Just read an editorial in Time about circumcision, while in the bathroom none the less. Essentially, a jewish guy is about to be the father of a baby boy and is doing research to deem whether it really makes sense to cut off that initial piece of foreskin. Does it really prevent STDs? How much bigger does it look? Do the ladies love it? (just watch Robin Hood: Men in Tights for that one).

I was under the impression that it is almost standardized, but some of the stats kind of suprised me:

90% were snipped in the 60's-70's (what i figured)
50% are snipped today (really?)
30% are snipped in California (really Lloyd? really???)

While I don't want to know from my readership who's got a little extra down there, I am really curious about why so low in CA. Is this another hippie thing? Or am I missing something else here?

I actually had a conversation about this on Monday with my girlfriend, not about whether to do it or not, but why would you cater it and why would anyone go to it. Well, its more customary than anything else. Why else would you want to come home, 8 days after being born, to have your relatives and parents friends come by for bagels and lox to have the Rabbi (in the words of Mel Brooks) "nip the tip"?

No comments:

Post a Comment