Sunday, March 15, 2009

Cramer vs. Stewart: Post-Game Analysis

There's been a heated debate lately between Jon Stewart vs. CNBC and by proxy Jim Cramer of CNBC's Mad Money. Pretty much Stewart is wondering how the network missed this whole financial crisis and (Cramers) wrongful predictions about the stability of companies like Bear, Lehman, and AIG.

Thursday night I watched The Daily Show and watched Stewart tear up Cramer a new one. It was so amazingly one sided of a debate, so yesterday I wanted to watch the unedited version online here. After watching this take, it was much less one sided, although you still saw that Stewart won. It was pretty much like going from a 2nd round KO to a 10th round unanimous TKO. It is really a shame the way that it was edited in such a manner that it was.

I'm sure The Daily Show will get a significant ratings boost and Mad Money will see that of a decline. It's a shame because I really appreciate the work that Cramer has done. Through his show and website (Thestreet.com) I enjoy that he makes things simple to learn about the market and get some insights on particular companies. That does not mean (and he says so himself) that what he says is gospel, his advice is just that and nothing more. I certainly disagree on many opinions and truth be told he doesn't come up with anything that people on Wall Street hasnt thought of. You still need to do your homework and formulate your own opinions. He has gotten people into the game and made it entertaining at the least. The guy just simplifies things and communicates to a beginner's level audience. Let's take that at face value.

While I don't watch Stewart on a regular basis, I admit he is a funny guy who is well versed in debate. I hope this rivalry comes to an end soon. I ask (cause I don't know) has he brought on Buffet, writers for Wall Street Journal and The Economist, and everyone else who missed this? It's really easy to point the finger in hindsight, but its another to acknowledge these mistakes before it happens. If I had his magic eight-ball, I'd be filthy rich from it. Where were you a year ago buddy?!

PS- I've been calling before that we'd hit 6500 on the DOW before it be time to start thinking about pumping money in... looks like a good move, but a shame I have nothing to play with (yay tuition). Didn't think that would happen until the summer. I don't think we've hit bottom, i'd be surprised if we didn't have a down week this week. Tomorrow will be a key day.

No comments:

Post a Comment