Sunday, February 8, 2009

Where'd you go to school.... the University of DUH?!

As part of the summer internship search, I am going to be filling out a lot of online applications. These are really becoming the norm. So much so, that when I was asked to print out, hand write and then FAX an application back, I was shocked about the lack of technology involved. This is after-all from one of the top "financial services" companies in the world. I mean, who uses a fax machine anymore? That was so 2003....

Anywho, I'm filling out one for Disney and they ask the question "Where did you hear about us?" I can't fault them specifically for asking this as just about every employer has this on their application. But on the other hand, who in their right mind hasn't heard of them. Unless you've been under a rock for the first 20 something years of your life, you've certainly know about this company. As you do with Proctor & Gamble, Goldman Sachs, Anheuser Busch, American Express, etc.

Why do these companies ask a question like this? I don't know. I have two potential solutions that I'd like to see:

1) Change the question to "How did you find out about this opportunity?" You at least acknowledge that the person filling out has heard of you.
2) Add "Brand Recognition" as an option to respond to the original question

By the way, I don't know if this is specific to Berkeley or if it applies to all other top b-schools, but the word "brand" is easily the most abused word used on campus.

PS, Im watching the Grammy's right now and Jay-Z just come out to play with Coldplay. It is perhaps the strangest combination of rock and rap I've ever seen and its actually quite uncomfortable, especially because this is a really slow song (not the one that's been on the radio for the last year).

Personally, I love the Jay-Z/Linkin Park combination. I'd like to hear your suggestions for new Rock/Hip-Hop combinations. Use artists past or present if you like.

3 comments:

  1. Reno's in blog-land!!

    jwbender.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Hockey? I'm not sure I can condone this Steven.

    ReplyDelete