Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How does this thing work?!

So I'm still toying around with the format for this thing. Stories and rants are great but it doesn't let me tell the current events of what goes on around here. I'm going to try to have a "Status Update" either at the beginning or the end of each section, depending on how it flows. Let's see how it works... this is, afterall, a work in progress.

Status Update: Midterms for Core A classes start tomorrow with Ops and Macro on Friday. On top of that, I got an interview tomorrow (I will not name any companies that I have interviews with until I am officially accepted or rejected, otherwise it'll be bad luck to talk prematurely). But then I get to go back to New York for Valentine's Day.... I know a certain somebody is going to be really happy ;-)

Speaking of New York, my buddy Ryan was telling me today that he had a "New York Burger" for lunch at our sorry-ass excuse for a cafeteria. I asked what exactly was on a New York Burger, to which he said "I dont know.... Thousand island?" That's not New York. Not that I know what that would ultimately mean. I take it back... it just means that it's awesome!!!

So in the spirit of the things I've decided to post my Top 10 Burgers. My buddies back home have done extensive testing to find NY Burger Heaven and we all have much different tastes and opinions on consumes the best burger around. Being that I'm on the west-coast, I hope to broaden my experiences and add to the list. This will be subject to change as I visit more places and will refer to it from time to time. You may see the phrase "(burger) tour worthy". I will admit that this is heavily skewed to the east coast, I just haven't been here long enough to find anything else, although I welcome suggestions!!!

And without further adieu, here's the Top 10 with my comments, yours are welcome:

  1. PJ Clarke's (Midtown, NYC)- Flagship restaurant is much better than its sisters downtown and at Lincoln Center. It's amazing how the juice manages to stay in place and last til the end, onion strings and fries are amazing as well
  2. JG Melons (UES, NYC)- A close second, I like the thickness of the patty, as its different from most others on the list, but loses points on the fries.
  3. Burger Joint (Parker Meridian Hotel, NYC)- Best greasy dirty burger you can get. They serve the fries in a brown paper bag. It helps that this is a dive shack hidden and nestled into a 4-star hotel that you need to pass through a maze in order to get to.
  4. Shake Shack (Madison Square Park, NYC)- Yeah there's a long line, but it's well worth it on a summer day for a double stack patty with fresh fixins' and their sauce. Don't forget the shake! An upscale version of #6
  5. Costco (Anyplace you can find a Costco and a BBQ)- Ok, here's where im going to catch some slack. There's something to be said about a DIY grill job, and the meat here is awesome. Coat with Sassy Salt (from Market Basket) and cook at 4 min a side. The bun can make or break this, I'd go with Martin's Potato Rolls
  6. In N Out (Las Vegas, NV)- Hands down the best fast food burger on the planet due largely to their "animal style". So why Vegas? Well if you've never had one before and you've spent 4 nights there and haven't slept in 40 hours, it tastes REALLY GOOD
  7. Buskers (Hoboken, NJ)- They used to make this stuffed burger with cheese (I preferred blue) that was ridiculous. Then it went off-menu, now it is no longer offered. The regular burger is still good, but its just not the same. Admittedly living off past success
  8. Champs (State College, PA)- My senior year I think I ordered in from this place at least 2x a week, just excellent overall bar-food and goes great with a Yuengling
  9. RARE (Murray Hill, NYC)- They're Steak Burgers are really good quality of meat and the fry basket is great.... it's just way too pricey of a meal for burgers and fries
  10. Royale (LES, NYC)- Is it the 10th best burger that I've ever had? No... but you can't put a value on being able to order the "Royale with Cheese". The $3 pig-slap beer is worth brownie points too
Missed the cut: Corner Bistro, Stand, BLT Burger, Pop Burger, anything in CA
Looking to try: White Mana, 5 Guys, 5 Napkin, something worthy in CA (aside from #6)

No comments:

Post a Comment